Dromotica for Android
Open-source Home Automation
Control your house right from your Android device
Domoticz is an open source Domotica or Home Automation System that runs on Windows, OSX or Linux and can run on a Raspbery PI. It will let you manage and control various switches in your house, can monitor different sensors for energy usage, temperature, wind, rain and it can send you notifications or alerts.
I use it in my own home to switch on or off different lights and appliances like the TV and I monitor my electricity usage with it. Besides just being more convenient than walking to the different light switches it also made me more aware of my electricity use, helping me saving energy.
The standard installation of Domoticz works via a web interface in your web browser. This works great on a desktop or laptop computer but I found it to slow to work with on my tablet and smartphone. Turning on lights etc. needs to be done quickly or otherwise a domotica system becomes a nuisance instead of being helpfull. As native apps are faster than websites I decided to try out Android development and develop a native Android app for Domoticz.
The app will work on smartphones and tablets running Android 4.0 or higher. At the moment the layout is optimized for smartphones and the app is still under heavy development. You'll also need a working installation of Domoticz.
This Android app is not an official Domoticz app. I developed it as a third party add-on to Domoticz. The app comes without any warranty and guarantee. I provide support on a best effort basis using the Domoticz forum.
- Switching of scenes and groups
- Switching of all types of switches
- Monitoring energy consumption - Switching of all types of switches using home screen widgets
- Download the app from the Play Store
- On first start of the app you will be prompted to enter the details of your Domoticz server.
- Enter a username and password when you have enabled authentication in the Domoticz settings otherwise leave these empty.
- The host url is the url you use to open the Domoticz web page in your browser.
- Enter the port number. The port default is 8080.
- Click save. You will now be prompted to select the start screen.
Future development plans include geofencing, NFC support, a tablet layout, logs and graphs and widgets. If you have any ideas or suggestions that you would like to see implemented please let me know on the Domoticz forum.